Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Best Day... and The Worst Day

Friday ~ July 16, 2010 ~ What started out as the best day of my life (besides my wedding day of course) turned into the worst day of my life before I could blink. I've been wanting to post about this, but up until today I have not been able to. My brain did not know how to process the information. I shut myself off so that I couldn't be scared, cry... all I did was pray.

Ok, so now, not to freak you out or anything... We still have peanut (as far as we know at least, still one more week until we go to the doctor). We still have Pearl. Everyone is alive. So, now, what could be that bad?!

Friday morning is when I tested positive, and Friday afternoon is when I took another reassuring test. We were elated, over the moon, so freaking happy that we were pregnant. But, we couldn't share it with anyone yet! Frustrating!

Friday night my dad said that we needed to have a family meeting. He sat me and my brothers down at my grandparents picnic table and delivered the news. He wanted to let us all know that my mom had a malignant tumor outside of her lung. See, about a year ago or so she fell off a horse and broke her hip. At the time the doctors were concerned about her breaking a bone at such a young age, so did a bone density scan and a CAT scan to see if there was anything else wrong, or if she needed to be on some sort of bone loss medicine. All of the bone density stuff came back fine, but they saw a spot on her lung. It was small and the doctors were not concerned about it at the time, but told her to keep coming back for checkups on it and what not. A little over a month ago she went back in and the tumor had grown a great amount. The doctors were worried and so did a biopsy. A month ago her results came back - it was malignant. She then contacted my Uncle, who works with hospitals, and had him help her get an appointment with the doctors at UCLA. At UCLA they were not pushy to have her surgery soon, even though they agreed that it needed to come out. So, she made an appointment with MDAnderson in Houston, the number one hospital for cancer patients. Leave it to the Texans to be better than the Californians, hehe.. Today she had her appointment. The doctors said that the tumor was surprisingly a normal thing, and that it was a single occurrence. She had a scan done and they did not find any more tumors in her body. They called her tumor a T1N0, which google tells me means that T(tumor) is size 1 (2 cm or so), and N (lymph nodes) is 0 which means they are not affected. They are going to do her surgery on Friday, and the doctor thinks he can do it with the camera-scope, whatever that's called! I'm so technical, don't ya know!

So, after the surgery the doctors do not think she will need chemo. Only if something comes back fun with the biopsy of the tumor that they'll remove. She has a checkup on Tuesday so will be in Houston until then, and then she'll come back in a month for another checkup.

After our conversation with my dad I didn't know what to think. We have had too many friends/family members die from cancer. I could only think the worst. Thank goodness the good Lord has answered our prayers!!!! We are so happy that she is going to be ok, and well, although there is still that slight chance, the doctors are really positive that this will be she has to battle.

I know that I probably should have worded things different on this post, seeing as I probably freaked you all out, so I apologize. However, it was a total brain flow and I should probably be working, haha.

God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good!

I sent my mom this bible quote this morning:

"Fear not, for I am with you;
be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." -Isaiah 41:10

No comments:

Post a Comment